Episode 126. Why are Farmers Protesting In India?
As the government of India sets its sights on corporate investment and exponential GDP growth, their legislature has passed three new agricultural bills without input from the millions involved in small farms. The result has been for thousands of Indian farmers to take to the roads and streets, shutting down highways and rails in an effort to be heard.
Recurring Segments Include:
- Good news stories
- One action tip to for you to create change
- A weekly sanity tip to keep you calm(er) in the face of climate overwhelm
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Greta Thunberg’s February 2nd tweet:
News report of Nodeep Kaur’s arrest
India farmer’s protest clip plays during Superbowl LV
Action Steps: Help Create Awareness for Indian Farmers:
- Tweet your support to the Indian Farmers. Use hashtag #FarmersProtest #StandWithFarmers
- Call/Email any of your govt representatives and ask them to take action, Sign online Petitions and take action to Divest from fossil fuel industries.
- Organise an on-ground action near the closest Indian Embassy, Media House or your local Govt. office on 13th/14th February, 2021. Share pictures on social media using the hashtag #FarmersProtest #StandWithFarmers
Sanity Tip: Practice good self care, whatever that may look like for you.